Diabetes is now curable. Is it Stunning news for you? Yes – It can be cured permanently by Metabolic and Bariatric surgery. Till about a few years ago, there was no permanent cure for diabetes. However, new research finds that Diabetes is a Curable Disease.
Diabetes is a serious disease, known as ‘Mother of all diseases’. If it is not controlled, can leads to a host of serious health problems, including eye disorders and blindness, heart disease, stroke, kidney failure, nerve damage, pregnancy affects, amputation etc. To save life of number of people living with diabetes, a joint statement endorsed by 45 medical and scientific groups including Australian experts recommend surgery as standard treatment. This recommendation is also approved by International diabetes organizations.
Types of Surgery
There are different kinds of surgeries that can dramatically end diabetes. Which type of surgery is suitable actually depends on your weight, any health issues that you may have, the experience of your surgeon, etc.
- Ileal Interposition: It is a Metabolic Surgery procedure, use to treat overweight diabetic patients. This technique is applied by placing ileum (distal part of the small intestine) either between stomach and the proximal part of the small intestine or by placing the ileum to the proximal part of the small intestine without touching the natural connections of the stomach.
- Surgery Increases the secretion of the GLP-1 hormone which stimulates the Beta cells of the pancreas and increase secretion of insulin.
- Surgery helps control the level of blood sugar within six months.
- The success rate ranges between 80% – 100% depending upon the post-surgical care.
- Gastric Bypass (Roux-en-Y gastric bypass) Surgery: It is a kind of weight-loss surgery that reduces the size of your stomach to a small pouch. It does this by stapling off a section of it. The surgeon then attaches this pouch directly to the small intestine, bypassing most of the rest of the stomach and the upper part of the small intestine. This reduces the food intake and amount of fat and calories you absorb.
- Up to 60% of people show no signs of diabetes after surgery
- People usually lose 60% to 70% of their extra weight.
- Gastric sleeve (Sleeve Gastrectomy): Sleeve Gastrectomy is an operation that removes a large portion of the stomach and, in doing so, causes weight-loss. The remaining stomach is narrow and provides a much smaller reservoir for food. This operation lowers ‘Ghrelin’ the hormone that makes you feel hungry.
- More than 80% of people show no signs of diabetes after surgery.
- People usually lose 50% of their extra weight.
India is becoming an emerging hub for safe diabetes treatment surgery. These Metabolic and bariatric surgeries are performed by highly trained surgeons within accepted guidelines. With augmentation of healthcare infrastructure and rapid advancement in the field of medical technology, cost of surgery for diabetes in India is significantly lower than other countries.
To get advice at no cost regarding your diabetic problems, write to our experts at: [email protected]