Colon cancer is a type of cancer that begins in the colon (large intestine). The colon is part of the digestive system. The function of the colon is to reabsorb fluids and process waste products from the body. The colon consists of four parts: descending colon, ascending colon, transverse colon, and sigmoid colon. Colon cancer is also known as colorectal cancer or rectal cancer or rectum cancer.
Colorectal cancer begins as small, noncancerous (benign) clumps of cells (called polyps) that form inside the colon. Some colon cancer is benign and some over time become malignant.
- Rectal bleeding
- Dark stools, or blood in the stool
- Weakness and fatigue
- Persistent abdominal discomforts, such as cramps, gas, or pain
- Changes in bowel movements, including constipation or diarrhea that doesn’t go away
- Cramping in your rectum
- Belly discomfort or bloating
The main type of colon cancer include-
- Adenocarcinomas- Adenocarcinomas are tumors that start in the cells and affect internal organs. Adenocarcinomas of the colon and rectum usually form with the development of polyps or benign forms of tissue.
- Gastrointestinal carcinoid tumors- These gastrointestinal carcinoid tumors develop in the neuroendocrine cells that form the lining of the gastrointestinal tract. These tumors grow slowly. This carcinoid tumor may develop in the lungs or gastrointestinal tract.
- Gastrointestinal stromal tumors- GISTs rare type of colorectal cancer or rectal cancer that forms in cells in the lining of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, known as “interstitial cells of Cajal”.
- Primary colorectal lymphomas- This cancer develops in the lymphatic system or lymphocytes. Primary colorectal lymphomas account for just 0.5 percent of all colorectal cancers and about 5 percent of all lymphomas
If the sign and symptoms are indicative of colon cancer. The doctor may recommend some tests to confirm the treatment plan, which includes-
- Molecular testing of the tumor
- Blood tests
- Chest x-ray
Colon Cancer Treatment depends on the severity of cancer and the physical condition of the patient. It may also vary according to the part affected like, ascending colon, descending colon, etc.
Best Colon Cancer Specialists in India
Best Hospitals for Colon Cancer Treatment in India
NABH, NABL, AAHRPP, ISO: 90001
Colon Cancer Treatment includes-
- Surgery: https://hbgmedicalassistance.com/directory-treatments/listing/surgery-for-colon-cancer/
- Chemotherapy: https://hbgmedicalassistance.com/directory-treatments/listing/chemotherapy-for-colon-cancer/
- Radiotherapy: https://hbgmedicalassistance.com/directory-treatments/listing/radiation-therapy-for-colon-cancer/