Colon cancer is a type of cancer that begins with the colon (large intestine). The colon is part of digestive system. Function of colon is to reabsorb fluids and process waste products from the body. The colon consist of four parts: descending colon, ascending colon, transverse colon, and sigmoid colon. Colon cancer is also known as colorectal cancer or rectal cancer or rectum cancer.
Colorectal cancer begins as a small, noncancerous (benign) clumps of cells (called polyps) which forms inside the colon. Some of colon cancer are benign and some over time become malignant.
Sign and symptoms of colon cancer include -
- Rectal bleeding
- Dark stools, or blood in the stool
- Weakness and fatigue
- Persistent abdominal discomfort, such as cramps, gas or pain
- Changes in bowel movements, including constipation or diarrhea that doesn’t go away
- Cramping in your rectum
- Belly discomfort or bloating
Types of colon cancer-
The main type of colon cancer include-
- Adenocarcinomas- Adenocarcinomas are the tumors which starts in the cells and affects internal organs. Adenocarcinomas of the colon and rectum usually forms with the development of polyps or benign form of tissue.
- Gastrointestinal carcinoid tumors– This gastrointestinal carcinoid tumors develops in the neuroendocrine cells that form the lining of the gastrointestinal tract. This tumors grow slowly. This carcinoid tumors may develop in lungs or gastrointestinal tract.
- Gastrointestinal stromal tumors- GISTs rare type of colorectal cancer or rectal cancer that forms in cells in the lining of gastrointestinal (GI) tract, known as “interstitial cells of Cajal”.
- Primary colorectal lymphomas– This cancer develops in lymphatic system or lymphocytes. Primary colorectal lymphomas account for just 0.5 percent of all colorectal cancers and about 5 percent of all lymphomas
Diagnosis of colon cancer or colorectal cancer or rectal cancer-
If the sign and symptom are indicative of colon cancer. Doctor may recommend some test to confirm treatment plan, which includes-
Molecular testing of the tumor
Treatment of colon cancer-
Colon Cancer Treatment depends on the severity of the cancer and the physical condition of the patient. It may also vary according to the part affected like, ascending colon, descending colon, etc.
Treatment of colon cancer includes-
- Surgery: https://hbgmedicalassistance.com/directory-treatments/listing/surgery-for-colon-cancer/
- Chemotherapy: https://hbgmedicalassistance.com/directory-treatments/listing/chemotherapy-for-colon-cancer/
- Radiotherapy: https://hbgmedicalassistance.com/directory-treatments/listing/radiation-therapy-for-colon-cancer/