What is Autism?
Autism is a neurobiological pervasive developmental disorder (PDD) identified by a severe deficiency in social skills, behaviour and reciprocal social interactions. It becomes visible in early childhood and affects major aspects of a child’s development.
Autism is a complex neurological condition in which there are certain problems with communication & behaviour of a child. Autism is also called Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
The skills of children might develop brokenly. They face trouble in understanding what other people think and feel which makes it hard for them to express themselves, either with words or through gestures, facial expressions, and touch. The disorder negatively impacts the processing, interpretation and other basics abilities of a child governed by brain cells.
Common Symptoms of Autism Includes:
- Abnormal Body Posturing & Facial Expressions
- Lack of Eye Contact.
- Abnormal Tone of Voice
- Sleep Disturbance
- Behavioural Disturbances
- Deficits in Language Comprehension
- Delay in Learning to Speak
- Flat or Monotonous Speech
- Poor Social Interaction
- Lack of Empathy
- Learning Disability
- Problems With Two-Way Conversation
- Repeating Words or Phrases
- Repetitive Movements
- Self-Abusive Behaviours
- Not looking & listening to other people.
- High sensitivity to sounds, touches, smells, or sights
- Not looking at things when another person points at them
- Problems understanding or using speech, gestures, facial expressions, or tone of voice
Types of Autism Spectrum Disorders:
- Asperger’s syndrome – Children suffering from Asperger’s syndrome, face problem with language and he/she also have narrow scope of interests in social behavioural activities.
- Autistic disorder – Children suffering from Autistic disorder, face problems with social interactions & communication.
- Childhood disintegrative disorder – Children having childhood distinctive disorder, develop normally through the age 3 or 4. After few months, children lose language, motor, social, and other skills that they already learned.
- Pervasive developmental disorder (PDD or atypical autism) – Children having PDD, usually face problems with socializing and communicating, trouble when a routine changes, and repetitive movements and behaviours.
Causes & Risk Factors of Autism
- Genetic Change
- Fragile X syndrome
- Genetic Disorders
- Low Birth Weight
- Viral Infections
- Metabolic Imbalance
Diagnosis of Autism
Autism spectrum disorder differs widely in symptoms and severity. The specific medical test for autism is not available but a specialist may:
- Suggest genetic testing to identify whether your child has a genetic disorder such as Rett syndrome/fragile X syndrome.
- Test your child’s which includes hearing, speech, language, developmental level, and social and behavioural issues.
- Present structured social and communication interactions to your child and score the performance.
- Keep your child into observation for analysing your child’s social interactions, communication skills and behaviour have developed and changed over time.
Autism through the Lens of Ayurveda
In Ayurveda, Autism is defined as the role of disarrangement in brain nerves and cells which cause impairment and functioning of the mind. Ayurveda Understands autism as a gastrointestinal pathogenic infection which results in endotoxins and microbial infection. These microbes migrate to the brain and hamper the brain cells functioning.
Many Ayurveda options are available depending on the individual symptoms of the children.
For the treatment of autism, we first need to improve the digestive power of the children. Early treatment addressing these issues will help affected children. As per diagnostic criteria, symptoms become apparent before a child is three years old.
Ayurveda gives new hope in the management of autism spectrum disorders with its holistic and authentic approach. A combination of Panchakarma therapies, applied behaviour analysis (ABA), yoga therapy, music therapy, and nutritional diet modifications with herbal medicine treatment have shown improvement in the quality of life of autistic children up to a great extent.
Autism Treatment & Management in JIVA Ayurveda
Prescription for Autism in JIVA Ayurveda:
Children suffering from autism have been seen to respond well to a casein-free/ gluten-free diet. Therefore, the diet recommended for an autistic child should include cow’s dairy milk products, pulses such as green/red grams, fruits such as apple, mango, gooseberry, pear, pomegranate, fats such as olive oil, medicated ghee and green leafy vegetables.
Such children should avoid junk food, spicy and oily food, stale food, groundnuts, sago, cold drinks, curd, cheese, desserts, meat, coffee, and vegetables such as potato, sweet potato.
Shirodhara Therapy for Treating Autism in JIVA Ayurveda:
In Shirodhara treatment for autism, warm herbal oil is poured on the forehead continuously and slowly for a certain time span under the supervision of an expert. This Ayurveda therapy is effective in reducing stress, promoting sound sleep, and calming a distressed mind. Warm oils stimulate and soothe the hypothalamus and improve circulation by causing vasodilatation. Shirodhara treatment is started with a whole-body massage using medicated oils.
Thalapothichil Therapy for Treating Autism in JIVA Ayurveda:
In Thalapothichil Ayurveda therapy, medicated paste (Kalka) applied over the head and the head is later covered by using a plantain leaf. This therapy is effective in correcting the imbalanced digestive & metabolic activity of the body. Thalapothichil also relaxes and calms the mind and stabilizes the central nervous system.
Ksheerdhara Therapy for Treating Autism in JIVA Ayurveda:
In this Ayurveda therapy, milk is poured continuously to the child’s forehead & body which gives a cooling effect to the whole anatomy.
Treatment of Autism at Jivagram
Jivagram is a unique centre for personalized Ayurveda healthcare and treatment that is nestled in the peaceful countryside, far from the city rush. Jivagram inspires Ayurveda as a way of life, where you can heal spiritually and physically to become healthier, happier and more peaceful.
Located in Faridabad, Jivagram is a residential treatment and therapeutic Ayurveda centre for patients to heal physically, spiritually and mentally. Thoughtfully planned with ample indoor and outdoor spaces, Jivagram showcases the local art and culture through mud structures, paintings and a Nakshatra Van.
To make a pleasant and memorable stay, Jivagram also provides an opportunity to explore the rich culture, history and tradition of India through well-planned activities.