What is Muscular Dystrophy?
Muscular dystrophy is a group of inherited diseases in which the muscles that control movement (voluntary muscles) progressively weaken. In muscular dystrophy, abnormal genes (mutations) interfere with the production of proteins needed to form healthy muscle.
Types of Muscular Dystrophy:
Symptoms of Muscular Dystrophy:
|Early Symptoms Include||Later Symptoms Includes|
ü A waddling gait
ü Pain and stiffness in the muscles
ü Difficulty with running and jumping
ü Walking on toes
ü Difficulty sitting up or standing
ü Learning disabilities, such as developing speech later than usual
ü Frequent Falls
ü Inability to walk
ü A shortening of muscles and tendons, further limiting movement
ü Breathing problems can become so severe that assisted breathing is necessary
ü Curvature of the spine can be caused if muscles are not strong enough to support its structure
ü The muscles of the heart can be weakened, leading to cardiac problems
ü Difficulty swallowing, with a risk of aspiration pneumonia. A feeding tube is sometimes necessary
This is custom heading element
- Trouble walking
- Trouble using arms
- Shortening of muscles or tendons around joints (contractures)
- Breathing problems
- Curved spine (scoliosis)
- Heart problems
- Swallowing problems
Diagnostics of Muscular Dystrophy
- Enzyme Tests
- Genetic Testing
- Muscle Biopsy
- Heart Monitoring Tests
- Lung Monitoring Tests
Ayurveda Management of Muscular Dystrophy
Treatment approach to the disease is based on the fundamental principles of Ayurveda. The aim of treatment is not cure from the disease but slowing the progression and improving the quality of life and helping the patient to be more self-dependent. A holistic method using scientifically proven drugs and combination of yoga and treatment procedures is used to achieve this.
The treatment procedures will strengthen the muscles and act on the muscle fibers. The exercises stretches, strengthens and elongates the spine, improves circulation and eliminates toxins. Breathing exercises tones up and strengthens the respiratory muscles.
Treatment of Muscular Dystrophy in Ayurveda
- Body Heating Therapy: In this therapy, heat is provided to the affected part of body. Due to the effect of heat on the sensory nerve ending there will be a reflex stimulation of sweat glands in the areas exposed to heat. This rise in temperature induces muscle relaxation and increases the efficacy of muscle action as the increased blood supply ensures the optimum condition for the muscle contraction.
This therapy also acts by the mechanism of thermoregulation regulated by skin and coordinated with the functions of the other excretory organs increases the metabolic activity which in turn increases the oxygen demand and blood flow. This vasodilatation stimulates the superficial nerve ending causing a reflex dilatation of the arterioles.
- Yoga Therapy: Yoga therapy & Ayurveda oil massages slows down muscle destruction. Gentle yoga and breathing exercises strengthen the patient’s muscles, elongates the spine and promotes good Neuro-muscular fitness. Yoga has also shown to improve muscular dystrophy patient’s digestion and aid the elimination of toxins. In muscular dystrophy yoga can help you to cope up with symptoms and improve the quality of life. Regular practice of yoga can improves blood circulation and strengthens the weakening muscles.
- Medicated Enema Therapy: This therapy involves enema using medicated decoction. This treatment, aimed at expelling toxins from the body is also helpful in fighting the symptoms of muscular dystrophy.
- Oleation Therapy: A full body massage (Head to Toe) done with Ayurveda medicated oils. It relieves pains and aches in the joints by lubricating the same, improves blood circulation and channelizes nerve ending.
- Lifestyle Recommendation for Muscular Dystrophy-
Drink plenty of water in your daily routine at least 8-10 glass of water daily. It helps you to drive out the toxins outside the body. Regular practice of meditation and deep breathing exercise improves the use of oxygen at the cellular level, particularly in muscle tissue. It also gives you inner strength to fight against problems. You need to maintain a healthy weight and avoid obesity if you have muscular dystrophy. Weight gain is particularly difficult for people with Muscular dystrophy because of the extra pressure that’s placed on already weakened muscles. Keep away from smoking it increase your respiratory problems.
Diet Recommendations for Muscular Dystrophy
Wholesome diet supplemented with vitamins, amino acids, and herbs will help manage or reduce the debilitating muscular dystrophy symptoms. Avoid refined foods, including white bread, pasta, and sugar. Avoid or reduce use of red meat and trans fatty acids.
Don’t eat cakes, cookies, crackers, French fries, onion rings, and other processed foods. Refrain from stimulants like coffee, alcohol, and tobacco. Include in your diet good sources of protein like cold-water fish, lean meats, and beans. Eat plenty of antioxidant-rich foods including fruit (blueberries, cherries, tomatoes) and dark green vegetables (kale, collard greens, spinach, and green peppers). Cook with unsaturated oils (canola and olive oil). Whole grains and dried fruit are other good sources of fiber around which you should plan your meals.
Treatment of Muscular Dystrophy at Jivagram
Jivagram is a unique center for personalized Ayurveda healthcare and treatment that is nestled in the peaceful countryside, far from the city rush. Jivagram inspires Ayurveda as a way of life, where you can heal spiritually and physically to become healthier, happier and more peaceful.
Having expertise of 25 years in providing personalized Ayurveda treatment and Panchakarma therapies, along with hospitality and commitment to deliver the best quality care makes Jivagram unique in many aspects.