What is Cervical Spondylosis?
Cervical spondylosis refers to age-related changes in the neck, also called the cervical spine that may cause pain and other symptoms. It is also called cervical osteoarthritis. It is a condition that causes deterioration of the vertebrae, discs, and ligaments in the neck or cervical spine.
Causes of Cervical Spondylosis
- Bone Spurs
- Dehydrated Spinal Discs
- Herniated Discs.
- Ligament Stiffness
- Disk Regeneration.
Risk Factors of Cervical Spondylosis:
- Desk job
- Lack of exercise
- Injury/trauma to the neck
- Slipped disc
Symptoms of Cervical Spondylosis:
- Neck stiffness/pain
- Pain in the shoulder/arms
- Resistant neck movement
- Grinding noise
- Sneezing and Coughing
- Tingling, numbness, and/or weakness in the arms, hands, legs, or feet
- Lack of coordination and difficulty walking
- Abnormal reflexes
- Muscle spasms
Diagnosis of Cervical Spondylosis:
1. Physical Exam:
The doctor will evaluate you through physical and clinical investigations to rule out the cause of neck pain or other symptoms. During a physical exam, a doctor may check you’re:
- Neck flexibility
- Muscle strength and reflexes in your hands, arms, or legs
- Walking function
2. Imaging Tests:
- X-rays – X-rays help the doctor to check bone spurs and other abnormalities.
- CT scan – This test is done for detailed images of your neck.
- MRI scan – MRI scan is performed to produce images using radio waves and a magnetic field. This helps your doctor to locate pinched nerves.
- Myelogram – In this test, a dye injection is used to highlight certain areas of your spine.
- Electromyogram (EMG) – EMG is used to check the function of nerves while sending signals to your muscles. This test measures your nerves electrical activity.
- Nerve Conduction Study – The study is performed to check the speed and strength of the signals a nerve sends. This is done by placing electrodes on your skin where the nerve is located.
Ayurveda aspect for Cervical Spondylosis:
In modern medicine, the treatment for cervical spondylosis is either pain killers or surgery; there is no specific treatment performed for root cause problem of neck pain.
In the concept of Ayurveda, the therapies are performed specifically on the root cause of neck pain. The problem is caused by the impairment of Vata dosha (biohumor associated with Air and Ether). When Vata gets aggravated it
causes the depletion of the body’s tissues. The cold and dry qualities of Vata dosha lead to the decrease of the cushioning fluid and connective tissue between the joints that are ruled by Kapha dosha (biohumor associated with Earth and Water). In time, it leads to disc degeneration and eventually brings about spondylosis.
Cervical Spondylosis Treatment in JIVA Ayurveda
The Ayurveda treatment of cervical spondylosis includes the use of Ayurved medicines and therapies as below:
- Oleation Therapy– In this therapy medicated oil is applied to the whole body to improve the blood circulation in muscles and nerves.
- Sudation or Perspiration Therapy– This Therapy is used to induce sweating. The therapy uses steam generated from medicated herbal decoctions to induce sweat or perspiration. The objective of the therapy is to dilute the channels of the body to remove the toxins out of the body.
- Purgation Therapy– Is the administration of purgative substances to flush out toxins and excess mucus from the Gastrointestinal Tract. Purgation Therapy strengthens the muscles, Improves Digestive systems and activates lymphatic systems.
- Hot Oil Therapy– In this therapy, a leak-proof dough-ring made of a black gram or whole wheat flour is securely placed over the cervical region of the neck. Into which heated and medicated oil is slowly poured. This oil is recycled throughout the procedure in order to maintain a warm temperature for the duration of the treatment.
The above Ayurveda therapies are performed which provides:
- Relaxation to the muscles
- Relieve inflammation to the nerves
- Relieve inflammation to the surrounding tissues
- Healing the damage to the nerves
- Strengthening the nerves
- Strengthening the muscles
Treatment at Jivagram:
Jivagram is a unique center for personalized Ayurveda healthcare and treatment that is nestled in the peaceful countryside, far from the city rush. Jivagram inspires Ayurveda as a way of life, where you can heal spiritually and physically to become healthier, happier and more peaceful.