Stroke Rehabilitation Treatment in Ayurveda
What is a stroke?
The sudden death of brain cells due to lack of oxygen, caused by blockage of blood flow or rupture of an artery to the brain. Sudden loss of speech, weakness, or paralysis of one side of the body can be symptoms. A suspected stroke may be confirmed by scanning the brain with special X-ray tests, such as CAT scans. The death rate and level of disability resulting from strokes can be dramatically reduced by immediate and appropriate medical care. Prevention involves minimizing risk factors, such as controlling high blood pressure and diabetes. Abbreviated CVA. Also known as cerebrovascular accident. So, what is stroke rehabilitation treatment?
Generally, stroke can cause five types of disabilities:
- Paralysis or problems controlling movement, Sensory disturbances including pain,
- Problems using or understanding language.
- Problems with thinking and memory and emotional disturbances.
- The outcomes of treatment are more successful
What Is Paralysis?
Paralysis is one of the most common disabilities following a stroke. Paralysis is usually on the side of the body opposite the side of the brain damaged by stroke and may affect the face, an arm, a leg, or the entire side of the body. Paralysis can affect any body part and impair body functions in several ways. As a result, there are several types of Paralysis. However, based on the body region involved there are 4 main types of Paralysis.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Stroke Rehabilitation
According to Ayurveda, a Stroke is called Pakshaghata. Caused due to the vitiation of Vata dosha, which controls the motor and sensory activities in the body.
The line of treatment is to bring back the motor and sensory functions of the brain. Internal medicines boost the blood supply and natural antioxidants increase the oxygenation to the brain, rejuvenates the brain cells, and decrease cell death. The external therapies and panchakarma improve the functioning of the peripheral nervous system. The heat modalities in therapy maintain the muscle tone and reduce muscle spasm/ stiffness.
The patients suffer from hemorrhage or clots in the brain tissue. This leads to the inhibition of various body functions or gets manifests as convulsion. According to our experts in ayurvedic treatment for stroke, it is thought that the vaata movement is blocked because of which the symptoms are manifested. Hence, our therapies are aimed at restoring the flow of Vaata in the body and excrete the toxins summed up in the body. As a result, our therapies include multiple features, all of which work in the quick recovery of your patient. Our trained and experienced ayurvedic doctors have a wide range of treatments for the patients so that the internal toxins are removed. Besides, ayurvedic oil massages and enema use helps in the restoration of the muscle functions across the body. These methods are not only tested across ages but have been scientifically proved to be effective for stroke patients.
Considering the stage of the paralysis, for how long the patient has had this condition as well as their strength, and optimized treatment plan is formed by our senior physicians. If the paralysis is of recent onset, then medication such as DhanwantramKashayam, etc. is prescribed along with some mild treatments like Abhyanga (Application of medicated oil on the body), or Kaya Seka (pouring of warm medicated oil on the body).
A patient who has had paralysis due to a stroke for longer than one year requires more extensive treatment. This is because half of the body has been inactive for so long that the muscles start to waste away (no longer have the strength to function). Hence, the treatment plan usually has five stages.
- Medication to prepare the body for internal as well as external (Snehana) Oleation
- Snehana internally with some medicated
- oils or ghee + external oleation. (For 3 – 7 days)
- (Swedana) Fomentation – causing sweating with steam bath, etc.
- (Virechana) Purgation with a medicinal powder or castor oil.
- Medication to regain the strength of muscles as well as overall immunity
Various Medicines used for Paralysis or stroke treatment in Ayurveda:
- Dhanadanayanadi Kashayam, Dhanwantara Kashayam, Ashtavarga Kashayam, Bala arista, and Ashwagandharishta
- Ashwagandha, Bala churna
- Balaswagandhadi taila, Ksheerabala taila, Dhanvantara taila, Maha Masha taila
- Promptly control your BP, Diabetes and attend physiotherapy sessions for a speedy recovery.
- Snehana (application of medicated oil on affected body part)
- Pindaswedana (fomentation of an affected body part)
- Kayaseka (Pouring of medicated oil in the body in a specific manner)
- Vasti (a special type of enema therapy)
- Virechana (Purgation)
- Nasya( Administration of medicine through nostrils)
Physiotherapy also contributes equally to improving the condition of the patient through various therapies and stroke rehabilitation exercises at home.
- Strengthen the muscle tissue
- Re-establishes the neuromuscular function
- Recuperate the lost function of the body
- Improves the quality of life of the patient
- The patient can very well perform his normal daily activities