Obesity: What is it?
Obesity is a medical condition in which person carries excess weight or body fat that might affect their health. Obesity increases your risk of other diseases and health problems, such as heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure and certain cancers.
A BMI between 25 and 29.9 specify that a person is carrying excess weight. A BMI of 30 or over indicates that a person may have obesity.
Causes of Obesity:
- Physical Inactivity
- A diet simple in carbohydrates
- Frequency of eating
- Psychological factors
- Childhood Weight
Symptoms of Obesity:
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
- Lung disease
- Colon cancer
- Endometrial cancer
- High triglycerides levels
- Varicose Veins
Health Risks Associated with Obesity:
- Type 2 (adult-onset) Diabetes.
- Insulin Resistance
- High Blood Pressure
- High Cholesterol
- Heart Attack
- Congestive Heart Failure
- Sleep Apnea
Diagnosis of Obesity:
Obesity is diagnosed by calculating your BMI. BMI is average of your height and body weight. A BMI of 30 or more considered as obesity.
|30.0 & Above||Obese|
To diagnose obesity, your doctor will perform a physical exam and recommend some tests. These exams and tests generally include:
- Health History
- General Physical Exam
- Calculating your BMI
- Waist Circumference Measurement
- Blood Test
Ayurveda Understanding of Obesity:
In Ayurveda, Obesity is described as excessive accumulation of fat/adipose tissue and flesh/muscle tissue leading to flabbiness of hips, abdomen, and breast. It is considered as one of disease due to consumption of excessive calories in Ayurveda.
Increased Toxins disturbs metabolic processes form more fatty tissue and blocks the formation of the furthermost tissues such as bones.
Ayurveda Treatment for Obesity:
- Panchkarma Therapy: Panchkarma includes therapies, which are mainly used for purification or elimination of toxins. For weight loss, Medicated Enema Therapy is recommended.
- Medicated Enema: This therapy involves injecting liquids like medicated oils, herbal decoctions and milk through the perineum. The purpose of this therapy is to clean or heal. The toxins accumulated in the lower part of the body or the toxins pushed to the colon, urinary tract or reproductive tract.
By cleansing and detoxifying the body, the therapies helps to renovate the natural heat within the body. This naturally burns the toxins at the cellular level & prevent it from re-generating. It also helps to regain the normal digestive process and to lose/maintain weight effectively.
3. Oleation Therapy: This is a unique therapeutic kneading therapy using medicinal oil. It removes body impurities and reduces weight.
4. Steam Bath Therapy: Herbal steam bath therapy that helps to balance the ailments of a person. It opens the pores and cleanses the system through the skin.
5. Medicated Powder Poultice Therapy: This is a relaxing Ayurveda therapy that uses a specific herbal powder made of some rejuvenating herbs. It is an effective Ayurveda treatment for treating obesity.
6. Diet Management: Not only the quantity of food matters, but also the type of food one eats. Obese people should eat the correct food, cooked with natural vegetables in the right quantity and at the correct time.
7. Herbal Medicines: Herbal medicine has been used for treatment of obesity for more than 2000 years, and it has proven efficacy. Common herbal supplements used for weight loss include green tea, garcinia cambogia, white kidney bean and African mango.
8. Therapeutic Yoga & Meditation: These are the Ayurveda breathing techniques, which brings about great benefits, such as increased energy, increased perception and development of various brain faculties. Yoga not only helps one lose weight but also enhances the healing potential of Ayurveda.
Healing At Jivagram:
Surround yourself with earthy elements that connect your body and soul with nature at Jivagram. Jivagram is both traditional health getaway destination & Ayurveda hospital.
Having expertise of 25 years in providing personalized Ayurveda treatment and Panchakarma therapies, along with hospitality and commitment to deliver the best quality care makes Jivagram unique in many aspects.