What are skin disorders?
Skin disorders vary greatly in symptoms and severity. They can be temporary or permanent, and may be painless or painful. Some have situational causes, while others may be genetic.
Most Common Skin Ailments:
- Acne: Acne is a chronic, inflammatory skin condition that causes spots and pimples, especially on the face, shoulders, back, neck, chest, and upper arms. It commonly occurs during puberty, when the sebaceous glands activate, but it can occur at any age. It is not dangerous, but it can leave skin scars.
Ø Small red, tender bumps
Ø Cystic lesions
Ø Labs & Tests
2. Eczema: Eczema is a condition where patches of skin become inflamed, itchy, red, cracked, and rough. Blisters may sometimes occur.
|Ø Dry, sensitive skin
Ø Red, inflamed skin
Ø Very bad itching
Ø Dark coloured patches of skin
Ø Rough, leathery or scaly patches of skin
Ø Oozing or crusting
Ø Areas of swelling
Ø Abnormal function of the immune system
Ø Activities that may cause skin to be more sensitive
Ø Endocrine disorders such as thyroid disease
|Ø Blood Tests
Ø Skin Biopsy
Ø Allergy Skin Testing
Ø Patch Testing
3. Psoriasis: Psoriasis an autoimmune disorder where rapid skin cell reproduction results in raised, red and scaly patches of skin. It is not contagious. It most commonly affects the skin on the elbows, knees, and scalp, though it can appear anywhere on the body.
|Ø Red patches of skin covered with thick, silvery scales
Ø Small scaling spots (commonly seen in children)
Ø Dry, cracked skin that may bleed
Ø Itching, burning or soreness
Ø Thickened, pitted or ridged nails
Ø Swollen and stiff joint
|Ø Cold & Dry Weather
Ø Skin injury
|Ø Physical exam and medical history.
Ø Skin biopsy
Skin Disorders in Aspects of Ayurveda:
Ayurveda states that chronic skin conditions, such as eczema, psoriasis, and acne, are caused by toxins that are generated by imbalances in the blood, lungs, and liver. By Ayurveda’s view, skin-disrupting radicals originate from surplus blood vessels, which together with plasma nourishes the skin. Blood elements gets imbalanced when we ingest heating foods, imbibe alcohol or other liver irritants, suffer intense sunlight exposure, work, or experience extreme negative emotions.
Ayurveda Treatment for Various Skin Disorders:
Skin issues typically originate beneath the surface of the skin, there are a number of external applications that encourage the overall health of the skin, and that help to soothe and support the natural healing process of the skin when it is irritated.
1. Five Senses Therapy:
This treatment combines the therapeutic effect of all five senses working in harmony. Sound therapies & Touch therapy enlivens specific vital points on the body. Taste therapy uses certain herbal medicines. Sight uses Ayurveda colour therapy, and smell is accessed with combinations of rare aromatics. The effect harmonizes all of the senses to bring one’s awareness to the source of thought and feeling within the heart.
2. Herbal Paste Therapy: A deeply penetrating herbal paste lymphatic massage. This powerful exfoliating treatment will magically restore your natural radiance. It conditions the skin while releasing stagnant lymphatic toxins from the body to reduce cellulite and fat.
3. Steam Bath Therapy: In steam bath therapy head and the heart are kept cool while the body is heated to remove mental, emotional and physical toxins lodged deeply within the tissues. The cool head and heart provide a sense of calm and openness while the therapeutic steam over the entire body can penetrate and cleanse deeply, without overheating and causing stress to the body.
4. Eye Rejuvenation Therapy: Eye rejuvenation treatments restore lustre to the eyes and nourishment to the surrounding tissue, relieving the tension that causes poor eyesight, headaches, pain, fatigue, dark circles and fine lines. This treatment is performed with herbalized clarified butter, body massage and foot massage with a special 3 metal bowl.
5. Internal Oleation: This therapy is the most crucial step as this lubricates your insides and kick starts the detoxification process. This internal oleation process includes consuming medicated oil. The dosage is determined by the Ayurveda physician after evaluating the digestive fire of the participant.
6. External Oleation: Medicated oil therapy is included in this package. The treatment will be scheduled at the end of the internal oleation period. This is a 45 minute rejuvenation massage with 15 mins of steam therapy.
7. Bloodletting Therapy: This is mainly used in the diseases resulting from aggravation of toxins in the blood. It is done with needles, leeches or suction cups. This treatment is very good for treating eczema, psoriasis, infections gout, etc.
8. Therapeutic Vomiting Therapy: Therapeutic induced vomiting is done by giving emetic drugs orally along with a large quantity of medicinal liquids. The subject is allowed to vomit all the contents of the stomach. This treatment is very good for treating psoriasis, eczema, acne etc.
9. Diet: Ayurveda recommends that you should eat by acknowledging the body’s natural triggers of thirst and hunger. Ayurveda suggests that your stomach should be filled with food, water and air at mealtime, with an emphasis on fresh foods. The basic thought in Ayurveda is that incompatible food creates toxins in your body, which in turn creates imbalance in your basic body elements.
10. Lifestyle & Exercise: Exercise and physical activity is beneficial across the board for the skin and for eliminating the toxins that cause skin ailments.
Treatment At Jivagram:
Jivagram is a NABH accredited Ayurveda centre by Jiva Ayurveda where patients can stay and regain health – physical, mental and spiritual. In addition to providing world-class Ayurveda treatments, Panchakarma and other therapies, Jivagram also offers patients unique experiences of Indian tradition and culture. Jivagram is not only for people looking for treatment, but for those who want to experience wellness.