What is Total Hip Replacement Surgery?
Hip replacement is surgery to replace a damaged or worn hip joint. It aims at relieving hip pain and increasing hip function by resurfacing the bones at the hip joint. The surgeon removes and replaces the femoral head with an artificial head. This prosthetic femur head is shaped like a ball and fits completely into the prosthesis of the rounded cup, which becomes the pelvis ‘ fresh socket.
The hip joint may be affected by various kinds of arthritis:
- Osteoarthritis – It can cause joint cartilage and adjacent bone breakdown in the hips.
- Rheumatoid arthritis – This sort of arthritis leads the synovial lining of the joint to become inflamed. It creates additional fluid from the synovial. It can lead to serious pain and stiffness.
- Traumatic arthritis – This is an injury that causes arthritis. It can also harm the cartilage of the hip.
What are the symptoms for Total Hip Replacement Surgery?
- Pain in the joints, back, or muscles
- Stiffness, swelling, tenderness, or weakness in the joints
- Fatigue, anaemia, or malaise in the whole body
- lumps or redness in the skin
Evaluations for Total Hip Replacement Surgery
- Complete blood count
- Coagulation tests
- Baseline metabolic analysis of the kidneys, liver, and electrolyte status
Treatment for Total Hip Replacement Surgery
A minimally invasive technique can be used to perform hip replacement surgery. The patient is given general Anaesthesia. The doctor then cuts along the hip side and moves the muscles connected to the thighbone in order to expose the hip joint. By cutting the thighbone by a saw, the ball part of the joint is removed. The thighbone is then connected to an artificial joint using either cement or a special material, so the remaining bone can be connected to the new joint. The doctor then prepares the hipbone surface by taking any damaged cartilage and connects the replacement socket part to the hipbone. The new thighbone ball part is then placed in the hip part of the socket. Any fluid may be drained by a drain. The doctor then ties the muscles and closes the incision.
Cost of investigations would generally range between USD 400 and USD 600
Cost of Surgery would generally be as below:
|Economy Ward||USD 4800|
|Twin Sharing Room||USD 5400|
|Private room||USD 6000|