Also known as “Reduction Mammaplasty”, is an operation to reduce the weight and volume of the breasts. During the procedure, excess fat, glandular tissue and skin are removed from the breasts, which are then reshaped. Breast reduction aims to achieve a breast size in proportion with body and helps to relieve the discomfort of overly large breasts.
- Breasts that are too large in proportion to the body frame
- Heavy, pendulous breasts with nipples and areolas that point downward
- Uneven Breasts
- Back, neck or shoulder pain caused by the weight of the breasts
- Skin irritation beneath the breasts
- Indentations in the shoulders from tight bra straps
- Restriction of physical activity due to the size and weight of the breasts
- Dissatisfaction or self-consciousness about the largeness of the breasts
- Breast Reduction surgery is usually done under general anesthesia or Local Anesthesia.
- For the procedure, the surgeon removes some of the breast tissue and skin. The nipples may be moved higher to reposition them for cosmetic reasons.
- The surgeon makes three surgical cuts: around the areola (the dark area around the nipples), from the areola down to the crease under the breast, and across the lower crease of the breast. Extra fat, skin, and breast tissue are removed. The nipple and areola are moved to a higher position. Often the areola is made smaller. The surgeon, then, closes the cuts with stitches to reshape the breast.
- Sometimes liposuction is combined with breast reduction to improve the shape of the breast and armpit areas. The procedure can last 2 – 5 hours.
Breast reduction procedure help in alleviating
- Chronic Pain
That affects quality of life. Control on having headaches, neck pain, and shoulder pain.
- Chronic Nerve Problems
Caused by poor posture, which result in numbness or tingling in arms or hands.
- Cosmetic Problems
Such as persistent bra-strap groove, scar-like lines in the skin (striae), difficulty finding clothes that fit, and low self-confidence. Most importantly, it helps in avoiding unwelcome attention that makes one feel awkward.
- Chronic rashes
under the breasts, excessive sweating, infection etc.
- It is the benign enlargement of breast tissue in males.
- The condition may occur physiologically in newborns due to transfer of maternal or placental estrogens from the mother or at any time from adolescence onwards. Gynecomastia may arise as an abnormal condition associated with disease or metabolic disorders, as a side-effect of medication, or as a result of the natural decrease of testosterone production in older males.
Treatment and Male Breast Reduction Surgery:
- For men who feel self-conscious about their appearance, breast reduction surgery is an ideal option to flatten the breast area.
- Male breast reduction surgery usually takes around 90 minutes. The surgeon will make an incision around the areola and liposuction may be used to suck out excess fatty tissue. If there is a lot of tissue to remove, cuts may extend down the chest from the areola and the nipples may need to be repositioned. Results are permanent but weight gain, hormonal imbalances and the use of certain drugs can cause the breast area to enlarge again.