Ayurveda where Ayur meaning life and Veda meaning meaning science or knowledge is a scientific system of treating illness. Its purpose is to expose the illusion and neediness of the mind and set you free. Ayurveda lets you be content with life and treat your mind and body with wisdom. It is a powerful tool which involves
- Use of all senses
- Interaction with the environment
- Balance of body and mind
- Self awareness
The ancient physicians designed this form of medication to help people stay vital while realizing their full human potential. Therefore, cultivate a perfect health with your involvement in Ayurveda. As Ayurveda is helpful in cultivating your innate state of balance, the other aspects of it are equally important. Let’s discuss.
What is Autism? Can Ayurveda treat Autism?
Autism is a lifelong developmental disability that affects how people perceive the world and interact with others. It is much more common than one can think. People from all nationalities and cultural, religious and social backgrounds can be autistic, and men are seemed to be affected more than women. It is a neuro biological pervasive developmental disorder (PDD) characterized by
1. Severe deficiency in social skills, behavior and reciprocal social interactions
2. Difficulty in language, arrangement of words and non-verbal communication and
3. One cannot identify or remember the names and nature of things around him
According to the belief of Ayurveda, autism is caused by hormonal toxic imbalance in body and brain. Ayurveda treats Autism with Panchakarma – A process which involves five steps:
- Detoxification which consist of therapies such as
- Oleation therapy (Snehana) – with herbal oils like Chandan bala lakshadi oil
- Fomentation therapy (Swedana)
- Emesis therapy (Vamana)
- Purgation therapy (Virechana)
- Medicated enema therapy (Basti)
- Pinda sweda
- Ayurveda diet for Autistic children basically involves balancing diets and drinks such as cow’s milk, pulses like green gram and red gram, fruits like apple, mango, amla, pomegranate, carrot, pear, etc. and fats like olive oil and clarified butter (ghee) from cow’s milk or medicated ghee. Give boiled water to drink whenever thirsty. ¼ cup of yogurt to ¾ cups of water blended with cumin, coriander, and ginger. A freshly prepared buttermilk is a good drink. Diluted fresh pomegranate juice should be taken daily if possible.
- Junk food
- Oily and spicy food, stale food
- Cold drinks, coffee, alcohol
- Groundnuts, sago, curd, cheese, desserts
- Vegetables like potato, brinjal, sweet potato, etc.
- Following are the Ayurvedic medicines for treatment and healing
- Bacopa monnieri (Bragmi)
- Asparagus racemosus (Shatayari)
- Withania Somneifera) (Ashwagandha)
- Clitoria ternatia (Shankhapushpi)
- Centella asiatica – Tinospora cordifolia (Guduchi) and Emblica officinalis (Amalaki)
Emblica officinalis (Amalaki) further has the following variants
- Cyperus rotundus(Musta)
- Centella asiatica (Mandukparni)
- Glycerrhiza glabra (Yashtimadhuk)
- Nelumbo nucifera (Padmak)
- Acorus calamus (Vacha)
- Yoga as a form of exercise can be used in autistic children to improve muscle strength, tone and become aware of their placement of arms, legs and feet in comparison to the rest of their body. Breathing Exercise can also be very helpful. Alternate Nostril Breathing known as Anuloma Viloma is easy to practice. This exercise affects your autonomic nervous system (the one we have no conscious control over). The mind is being used directly to regulate the breath, allowing the body to learn to self-regulate.
- Ayurveda Meditation Treatment – Ayurvedic neuro medical management increases brain function and nerve stimulation. “So Hum” meditation is another way for children with autism to quell aggression by calming the mind and body. It utilizes deep breathing and repeating of the word “hum” to expand consciousness and promote relaxation and self-awareness. While So Hum meditation is most effective when completed in 20 to 30 minute sessions. Many patients with autism will need to start with one or two minute sessions, increasing the length as they continue to do so.